Last week we celebrated local farmers and the food that they grow with a lunch at Great River Medical Center in West Burlington. We served 172 meals to hospital staff and community members who filed through the hospital cafeteria for lunch. The menu included grilled burgers and brats from Our Yesterday Farms, homemade sauerkraut and pickles from Milo's Market, a couple of beautiful salads made from a variety of vegetables sourced from Homestead 1839, Canaan Produce and Mogo Farms, and aronia berry pumpkin muffins made with KJM Berries & Nut Farm's local berries.
The average piece of food in the meal traveled only 18.7 miles from the farm to the lunch plate!
We had a number of requests from lunch-goers for the salad recipes, because they were so delicious! Chef Chris Morris shared the recipes for his salads and you can find them below:
This event was organized with the help of a number of partners who we must give thanks to:
- Great River Medical Center's nutrition services staff: Ann Brotherson & Chef Christopher Morris
- Des Moines County Living Well organizer & Community Coordinator: Jake Tanumihardjo
- Sara Lee Earthgrains distributor: Mark "Buns", for donating the buns
- Des Moines County Extension & Outreach staff: Morgan Hoenig & Rebecca Luers
- Local Farmers: Nate Larson, Jennifer Larson, Tobin & Mollie Krell, Kenneth & Judy Sanders, Stevie & Jayson Bethurem, Grace Bennett, Brian Lane, and Morgan, Kevin & Paula Hoenig.